Travel to the Galapagos – Overview
Travel to the Galapagos is a once-in-a-lifetime experience that many people enjoy time and time again! There is simply no better place than the Galapagos for you (adults and kids of all ages) to get so close to so many species of animals, safely in the wild. When we say close we mean there is nothing between you and the creatures you are watching as you walk along beaches, marked trails or snorkel in bays.
Charles Darwin stumbled upon the Galapagos Islands more than 170 years ago. He must have been surprised when a 400-pound tortoise plodded by, or when a dragon-like iguana stared at him from a rock. The constant seismic activity that formed the islands, combined with their isolation from the world has been the incubator for this archipelago’s rare and unusual animal life. Discover Darwin’s treasure: a diversity of life found nowhere else. Discover this aboard your own exclusive yacht.
Galapagos Tours by Latin Excursions
We have been planning travel to the Galapagos for years and years. Based on what you would like to get out of your visit, we can help you find the best land-based as well as water-based tours, cruises and guides. Here are some typical experiences enjoyed daily in the islands:
- You step onto a sandy shore to a welcoming committee of sea lion pups intent on greeting your toes
- You track down a giant ET-like tortoise in the lush green highlands
- An unconcerned land iguana watches you pass as he waits for a prickly pear to drop from a cactus for dinner
- Green sea turtles & eagle rays glide just beneath the transparent surface of a mangrove lagoon just a few feet from your raft
- Dolphins play in the bow wake of your island hoping yacht
- A band of marine iguana rest atop one another in a large heap looking like a nursery for Godzilla’s children
- A pair of wave albatross duel with their beaks in a mating ritual
- A young sea lion almost touches your snorkeling mask with its nose, as colorful king angel fish, parrot fish and Harlequin wrasse swim nearby
- Tiny Galapagos penguins hop from rock to rock before darting into the water like miniature torpedoes
- Blue footed boobies show off their feet to potential mates on one side of the trail, while Magnificent frigate birds try and outdo them in the branches on the other side of the path by inflating their large scarlet throat sacks
These are common events. There’s more of course, but we’ll leave that up to you to experience. Rarer possibilities include encounters with the gentle leviathan whale sharks, giant manta rays or jumping into a pod of wild dolphins. In Galapagos your likely to find that your binoculars become an encumbrance because they simply can’t focus that close enough.
While Galapagos is best seen by yacht, for land lovers there are exclusive resorts with private bungalows or informal beach front hotels where you can go on outings including day trips to other islands. We can find the trip and accommodations that is right for you. Imagine a group of islands that lives up to your dreams of a sheltered place far removed from the usual concerns. The skies are almost always sunny, and the sea breezes create that perfect air temperature that instantly relaxes the body. The ocean is an ever inviting turquoise blue, matched by long sandy beaches of crystal white, pink, volcanic black and looking-glass green. There are crystal coves and mangrove lagoons. You don’t have to imagine. Galapagos is waiting for you and your family.
For the lucky few who travel to this tiny archipelago lost amidst the great Pacific Ocean and preserved in almost the same state as when Darwin first landed, there is probably no other experience on earth that is comparable. Quite simply, it is life transforming!
For a sample of our favorite Galapagos programs, you may click here
|Short Cruise (4-5 Days)||Long Cruise (6-8 Days)|
|Private departure dates|
|Flexible daily activities & schedules|
|Access to local cultures|
|More time and flexibility for island exploration|
|Higher adventure level|
|Overnights on Land|
|Guest Capacity at camp/on boat||Small boat: 12-16; Medium boat: 20-48; Large boat: 100||Varied||Varied|
|Number of islands visited||3-4||6+||3-4||6+|
|Close-up wildlife viewing|
|Great for all ages|